Adjust Your Driving to Plug Spending Leaks
Source: USA Today
Even if you can afford the speeding ticket, consider the other financial impacts:
- Speeding tickets raise your insurance premium.
- Accelerating quickly and then slowing decreases gas mileage.
- Speeding and causing an accident can put you in the hot seat for injuries to others or yourself.
- Points on your driving record can lead to the suspension of your license and take away your ability to drive to work.
Distracted and Impaired Driving
Distracted driving and driving while impaired are constantly in the news. The worst part is that it isn’t just a habit for teenagers — adults do it too.
Source: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Approximately 660,000 drivers use cellphones or electronic devices while driving at any given daylight moment, according to the
National Occupant Protection Use Survey (NOPUS).
Glancing at a text message while driving may seem harmless, especially if you’re not answering. After all, it’s only a glance to see who the text is from, right?
Check Your Knowledge
Click your answer(s) below to take the quiz. Your replies are anonymous and we do not share or save your personal information. Please see our
- How long does it take to glance away from the road and to your device if you receive a text?
Answer: 4.6 seconds.
- Driving 55 mph, how far can you travel in the time it takes to glance at a text while driving?
Answer: 370 feet, or the length of one football field.
Watch this video from the U.S. Department of Transportation’s National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to learn about the dangers of distracted driving. Click here to watch on YouTube.