How to DECIDE
When making a decision to move, no matter whether it’s for a new job, a change in marital status, retirement or just for the sake of change, you will want to check out several options and choose the one(s) that fit your lifestyle, values and life circumstances. But first you need to create an inventory of just what criteria are important to you and the priority they take.
Click on each step below to see examples of the DECIDE process. Use the DECIDE Worksheet to get you started.
Define Your Goal
- What do you want to achieve by purchasing this home?
Establish Your Criteria
- Which features are wants and which are needs?
- It’s elimination time. Remove any options without your must-have features to get your list down to two or three options.
Identify Pros and Cons
- Make a chart so you can quickly compare the features and prices of each of your top two or three choices.
- Choose the home that best matches your criteria.
- Did you stay within budget? Do you feel good about your home?
- Set a plan for how long you will live in your new place and start saving for your next move.